Gospel Centered Counsel

As a mom I often find myself doubting my ability to be the best mom for the children God has blessed me with.  HELLLLOOOOO!  HE chose ME to be their mother.  Why in the world can I not accept that I am what's best?

Have you ever thought or actually said, "I'm a horrible mother.", I'm a horrible wife.", or "I'm a failure."?  Yes ma'am, I have too.  If you had a friend that said these things, how would you counsel her?  What gospel-centered words would you give her? How would you encourage her? 

Have you ever thought about saying those words to yourself?

In our sincere desire to be gospel-centered, we skip why we are so discouraged.  We skip over a biblical diagnosis and assume we know what the problem is.  We will tell our friend or ourselves, "You’re caught in the performance trap", or “You just need to remember that God’s approval isn’t based on your performance. He loves you, in spite of all your failures. He doesn’t expect you to do it all or be a perfect wife or mom. You just need to rest in God’s grace.”

True, to a point.

But Scripture trains us to be more careful counselors, to apply the varied grace of God appropriately to various mothering discouragements:
“Admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all” (1 Thes. 5:14).
A discouraged mom may be experiencing conviction for impatience, anger or some other area of sin in mothering. She may need to repent and get encouragement in the grace of God available to help her grow. 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Some look at their childrens performance as the measurement of her morthering success. This mom may need to be reminded of her call is just to be faithful, and to trust God with the fruit. Her children's sin is NOT the final measurement of her motherhood. Galatians 6:9 "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."

Some are discouraged because she is comparing herself to other moms or even worldly expectations of motherhood.  She may need to hear our Savior's words, (John 21:22) "Jesus said to him, If I desire that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow Me."

Often a discouraged mom is one what's exhausted.  She needs a good nights sleep and an hour in God's word.  Can I get an "AMEN!" girlfriend?!!! 

I could go on and on and on, but my point is that gospel-centered counseling doesn't make a blank check out to grace and hand it over to a discouraged mom.  We have to be diligent to figure out the specific gospel-truth that applies to a particular discouraged mom in her unique situation. Just remember that if we are counseling a friend or ourselves that we have to be careful, wise, and gospel centered.

Blessings,

Comments

Popular Posts