Uphill emotions



So I get a call from my son's teacher that he has said something extremely inappropriate to another young boy.  They were laughing and another teacher overheard the whole thing.  Naturally I am as embarrassed as a mom can be.  What is it with boys and their unique boy parts anyway?  If they aren't holding on to it then they feel the need to pee on something when they are young.  UGH. GROSS!!  The teacher, a mom of boys, laughed it off and said he was losing recess but it's okay.  This was her way of letting me know she didn't think any less of me, I think.  She's a wonderful teacher and handled the situation so well.  Did I say she's a wonderful teacher!!  I'm gonna miss her SO much next year!  

So... my son comes home from school.  I don't say a word.  But then he does something that calls for discipline and BAM.... mama bear has poked her head out and is yelling.  He's talking back and getting on the defense.  That just makes me even more upset with him.  But then...mid sentence I STOP!  I think, "What am I doing?!  Screaming at my little boy with tears welled up in his eyes and shoulders scared stiff is doing NO GOOD!!"  

I once read this, "Sometimes tempers flare in our home – let me be honest – disrespect makes me angry.  The anger I feel is not wrong – it’s a red flag notifying me that my children are off course…but if I respond with anger –  I won’t be much of an example to my children. My children will only be as disciplined with their emotions as I am with mine!"

Can we say OUCH!  That hurt a little bit.  How can I expect my child to behave himself and I'm losing it over here?  I can't.  So... I took a little breath, inventory of the heart and started over a little bit more calm.  I love my child and just want him to understand the things that are wrong and the things that are good.  I want him to know I love him and he can come to me at ANY time with ANY thing!  If I'm losing my temper and being all crazy it's just not going to be that way. 

From one mama to another. 

Blessings,
Stacey

Comments

Popular Posts