Contagious Christianity

I found this today and wanted to share with anyone that might come across my blog. :)  It spoke to me and opened my eyes that maybe I'm not doing things as well as God would want me to!!! 


"For the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations." Psalm 100:5
A FATHER'S RESPONSIBILITY
As a father I am responsible to ensure that my sons and daughters are raised to become God-fearing fathers and mothers who will in turn raise God-fearing sons and daughters who will themselves become fathers and mothers who will love, honour, trust and obey God. We are to raise disciples who will raise other disciples so that God's generational blessing is passed down and the chain unbroken.
By God's grace, I have been blessed with four beautiful children, two daughters and two sons. My eldest is almost fourteen. Our youngest will soon be six. For the benefit of younger parents, let me share some of the practical strategies and tactics which I seek to employ in discipling my children. I share these cautiously, because my wife and I are still very much learners, and we have much more learning and improving to do. Nevertheless, we have come a long way, battling medical crisis and developmental challenges while engaged fulltime in missionary work, juggling home schooling and many other commitments. Perhaps some of our experiences and practices will be helpful to other parents.
CONTAGIOUS CHRISTIANITY
My first priority is to ensure that my children love God and His Word. Some of this can be taught, but most of it is caught. It is not enough for me to teach my children to love and honour God and His Word, it is vital that they see their parents love God and His Word. Our daily example is in many ways a more important teaching tool than our words. So whatever we teach our children, we need to model by example for them.
SUNDAYS ARE SPECIAL
From the earliest, we have strived to teach our children a love and respect for God's Word, for the Church and for the Lord's Day. Children thrive on routine and rhythm. That is why ensuring that our calendar reflects our faith is most important. Habits and routine are a vital part of discipleship. We make time for those things we deem important. God has decreed that we work six days and give the seventh to rest and worship. It was so important to God that He gave us an example to follow, by resting after creating the universe. Setting aside the first day of the week as a special day is good for our body, mind and soul. We need time set aside for relaxation, reflection and restoration. This is a matter of rhythm and routine, but also a matter of revelation and remembrance of the Lord's great works of Creation (Exodus 20:8-11) and salvation (Deuteronomy 5:12-15).
HONOURING THE LORD'S DAY
Any relationship needs quality time and we need to devote at least one day a week to developing and deepening our relationship with our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Therefore we should do everything we can to protect the Lord's Day from being encroached upon and desecrated. In our family shopping, sports, homework or worldly entertainment are unacceptable activities for any Sunday.
RESPECTING THE LORD'S DAY
Preparation for worship on Sunday begins the day before ensuring that our children get to bed early enough to be well rested for Sunday worship. We can also encourage our children to respect where we gather for Sunday worship and the Lord's Day by seeing that they wear their best clothes for the Lord's house. And ensuring that we arrive early enough for worship with expectant and teachable hearts and minds.
APPLYING SUNDAY'S SERMON
After church we seek to discuss with the children what they have heard and learned and how best we can apply these principles of Scripture.
SCRIPTURE MEMORISATION
Scripture memorisation is also a vital tool in discipleship: "How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your Word.I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against You." Psalm 119:9-11
"Let the Word of Christ dwell in your heart richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom and as you sing Psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or in deed, do it all in the Name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." Colossians 3:16-17
If we build our children's lives upon the rock of God's Word, then they will stand in the storms of life that most surely will assail them (Matthew 7:24-27). "Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105



While doing a Bible study I came along these statements and passages.  If you want to read more here is the website that it was found from: http://www.christianaction.org.za/articles_ca/2005-1-RaisingGodFearingChildren.htm



Blessings,

Comments

rainbow said…
Stacy, Thank you so much for this post. It is just what I needed this morning. My sons are grown now with families of their own, but I have GRANDsons to guide and influence now. I was letting my Love and Respect for THE LORD'S DAY slide and not the attention it deserves. THANKS FOR OPENING THIS grandma's EYES TO WHAT SHE WAS DOING.

MAKE THIS A GREAT WEEKEND and BLESSED SUNDAY

rainbow (Momma Lyn)

Popular Posts