Selective Hearing

I remember growing up my parents would tell me I had selective hearing.  I acted as if I didn't hear them tell me to do something, when actually I did.  Sometimes Christians are that way.  We only hear the things that will build us up or don't get us out of our comfort zone.

During a recent meeting with youth our lesson was on compromise.  A recent devotional was on, not following instructions from God and listening to our spirit, having spiritual ear wax build up.  A recent encouragement for the day talked about seeking God with all of your heart.  I believe that all of these go together.  If you compromise your beliefs by an action, thought, word, with your eyes or mouth then you are NOT in God's will.  If you keep ignoring the spirit to watch those thoughts, words, movies, books, etc. then eventually you will have a 'spiritual build up' and not hear or feel those special instructions from God.  So you have to seek God with ALL your heart to find Him! (Jeremiah 29:13)

How often do we choose to watch a television show or listen to a song and think that its okay?  You know what is right and wrong.  That song or scene will not affect you.  Then one day you are sitting in church and 'that' song or 'that' scene that isn't pure pops into your head.  What do you do then?

How often do you ignore a conviction to do something or talk to someone because it may be a little uncomfortable for you?  Well, I have done it so much I don't even know the last time.  How many chances have I passed up to share Christ with another person?  How many times have I been too 'uncomfortable' to even ask someone something other than how they are doing? I will have to answer for those times.  I pray that I don't pass up that kind of opportunity again and that I will recognize it when it comes along. 

So, how much do we compromise?  1 John 2:15-16, "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world." 

Just something to really think about.  Seeing God speak to me over a week has shown me He is still listening no matter how much I seem to fail. God is all seeing, all knowing, and steady.  Kind, compassionate, and loving!  As a child of God, my heavenly father has blessed me with is prescence these past few days.  I wanted to share that awesomeness.  So don't have spiritual build up or even selective hearing.  Listen and follow God.  You will be much happier for it. Not to mention pleasing to or wonderful God! Many blessings! 

♥ Stacey B.

Comments

Popular Posts