Perspective Precedes Thankfulness

"Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm."
Deuteronomy 5:15 (NIV) This is the bible verse from a daily devotional email I receive.  After my post on Grace, Gratitue and Perspective I thought I would post a little more on perspective. 

Perspective makes all the difference in how we handle life. Without perspective, small problems seem insurmountable, and we ignore warning signs. But with perspective, hard situations don't overwhelm, and we can find our way to thankfulness instead of despair.

In Deuteronomy 5:15 Moses gave the Israelites God's Ten Commandments. As Moses related "Observe the Sabbath day," he challenged the people with this sentence: "Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm." God was establishing a day of rest, but also a day to keep perspective and be thankful. He wanted people to remember the hard times so they could appreciate the good times even more.

Think about some perspective points in your life.  Those times when it seems there was a life before and after that moment.  They will be the arrows to thankfulness. Reminds me that God was faithful then and He will be faithful now. They remind me God was greater than my circumstances then, and still is today. Most importantly, they help me cultivate a thankful heart for what I have. The truth is as long as we have breath, there is reason to be thankful and hopeful!

So, as I am thinking about Thanksgiving holiday, family time and a feast to feed the masses I wanted to share those points in my life.  It's how I find value in what seems a waste. They prove God can use anything for good, and help turn our hearts to gratitude instead of grumbling.

So point number one would have to be when I was a child.  During a messy and not so fun divorce of my parents I thought that life was ending and things would NEVER be the same.  I was hurt, angry and disappointed. Hurt because of the circumstances and selfishness of adults in my life. Angry mainly because I could do nothing about anything that was happening.  Disappointed because as a child and preteen you have a vision of what your life is going to be like with holidays, birthdays, vacations, and other big days in your life and realizing none of that will ever be like I had hoped. I did not deal with any of these feelings or emotions until after I had been married for a few years.  It led to many uncomfortable conversations and situations in my marriage.  But, by Gods grace I was able to come out on top.  :)  God comforted me and I was able to see the blessings that came from those tough years as a child and how much more I was blessed with because of the messy and not so fun divorce.  I have a mother that I love dearly and a 'father' that didn't have to be one.  My stepdad was wonderful and took care of me like I was his own.  So through this perspective point in life and many years of prayer and arguments with God (which He always won) I realized the many, many times God's hand was in it!

The second perspective point would have to be the moment I was able to forgive and move on from a rough childhood.  My marriage survived and my children benefitted from the changed heart of their mommy.  I was able to see God moving in everything around me.  This was the before and after moment I was talking about earlier.  Prior to this moment I wasn't sure I could survive the turmoil going on inside of me.  I didn't know if I could be the wife and mother I knew God wanted me to be.  Then, after I realized how much I could be and how amazing God is.  That I can handle anything thrown my way IF I only rely on my God to hold me up during the tough times and use the sword of the spirit, God's word, to fight off the attacks from the true enemy. 

And I think the last perspective point is sitting here writing this.  I have NEVER shared this with anyone other than my husband and best friend.  I always knew God's hand was in the healing and the situations in my life.  I suppose I just never realized how much until now.  God has brought me through some tough times with a few scars to remind me of the battle. I praise His name for the teaching, unmerrited grace and mercy! 

So, think about it.  What's your perspective look like?  How has God changed you through one or more specific events in your life?

Dear Lord, I thank You for the difficult times in my life. Although they weren't easy, I can see how You worked through them. Help me to keep perspective on my problems today by remembering Your faithfulness in my past. In Jesus precious name.  Amen
This is some of the information that was at the end of the devotional.  I wanted to share them!

Application Steps:
Identify a time in your life that was difficult. View your current circumstances in light of that difficult time. Thank God for what He is doing in your life today.

Reflections:
How can gratitude keep me from feeling like a victim?

Many times I want to forget the past. Is there a healthy way to remember my past difficulties?

Power Verses:
Joel 2:13, "Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity." (NIV)

Philippians 4:6-7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (NIV)





Blessings,

Comments

Popular Posts