Traditions.

While my little man is feeling down today I started thinking about "Holiday Traditions".  I wondered what all of my friends traditions were.  Did they go to grandma's house and have a feast before them that they share with close family?  Do people eat with just family or do they invite close friends as well?  What kinds of foods do they enjoy during the Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners? 

Well, I don't have many readers but I want to know.  What traditions do you have?  Or want to have?  What recipes or dishes are the family dish?  What could I be missing out on. :)

On Thanksgiving I get up early and make the casseroles I always make, the appetizer I always make and a dessert of my choosing. When it's all done my family goes to my parents house.  We all get together, help mom finish up things, and finally enjoy a Thanksgiving feast.  It's yummy and I just enjoy that special time and fellowship with those I love. 

Christmas is a little different.  It's wonderful and fun.  We spend Christmas eve baking all day.  We spend time with the kids and make sugar cookies that are decorated for 'Santa'. Oh, and we usually watch a Christmas movie while doing all this. (Which bring up another subject.  My family doesn't enjoy the fact that my children don't do 'Santa'.  We have been open from day one what Christmas is about.  It's about giving and the celebration of the birth of our Savior, Jesus.  It's not about getting gifts, Santa, or parties.  They know that Dad is Santa and the LOVE it.  It's so fun when they say Santa is going to bring them a special gift and they know it is their dad.  It's just fun.  We do the same thing with other holidays.  Our children know the real reason for whatever holiday it is.) Then after all that everyone gets to open one Christmas eve gift.  Pajamas and new house shoes.  They really enjoy that one special gift. :)  Then there's a whole other schedule for the big day. :)  So, that's about it.  There's a lot more that we do but those are the main event.  A few of our traditions.  Not all, but some.  :)  I can't give all our business and traditions to the world out there. ;)  LOL. 

So, share.  What do you do that is special to your family?

Blessings,

Comments

Deana said…
Everything traditional is my Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's always a great time with my family. As for food, my favorite dish by far would have to be the candied yams with mini marshmallows on top...yum. As for Christmas, we have started the last two years doing Christmas morning at our house, which I absolutely love. We don't do Santa either. Sometimes I feel as though I'm depriving my children of the delight, but I also feel that if I go along and encourage them to believe in Santa, they may one day also think that I did that with Jesus. The whole month of December, our family times revolve around an advent calendar that Tim's aunt made for us. That's a very special time. :)
Stacey said…
I want an advent calendar but haven't bought one. :( Hoping to get one! I am so glad we aren't alone with not doing the 'Santa' worldly thing. It's just so fun having their daddy give each gift out with a special comment. It's sweet. :) Thank you for sharing!

Popular Posts